Emergencies can happen at any time and your best defense is to be prepared. Create an emergency plan, follow emergency alert systems and keep your family safe.
Build a kit
Your emergency survival kit should have everything you and your family would need to be safe and take care of yourselves for at least three days immediately following an emergency.
The following list is broken down into the essentials, items you may need to meet your family’s unique needs, and items to have ready in case you have to leave your home.
WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR SURVIVAL KIT
- Food (non-perishable and easy-to-prepare items, enough for 3 days) and a manual can opener
- Bottled water (4 litres per person for each day)
- Radio (crank or battery-run)
- Extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Candles and matches/lighter
- Hand sanitizer or moist towelettes
- Important papers (identification, contact lists, copies of prescriptions, etc.)
- Extra car keys and cash
- Whistle (to attract attention, if needed)
- Zip-lock bag (to keep things dry)
- Garbage bags
- Items for babies and small children—diapers, formula, bottles, baby food, comfort items
- Prescription medication
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Pet food and supplies
- Any other items specific to your family’s needs
Extra Supplies for Evacuation
- Clothes, shoes
- Sleeping bags or blankets
- Personal items (soap, toothpaste, shampoo, comb, other toiletries)
- Playing cards, travel games, other activities for children
If the Mayor declares a natural or man-made state of emergency, all officials will follow the municipal emergency plan for a coordinated response. We will work with a number of agencies, including the police and fire department, during an emergency to ensure the safety of residents, businesses and visitors.
Insert – Emergency Plan (not yet available)
The Township of Armstrong takes direction and implements recommendations of Public Health. For the current situation in the District and up to date information and resources relating to COVID-19 visit Timiskaming Health Unit (timiskaminghu.com)